Rep. Lipinski Honors National Engineers Week
U.S. Rep. Dan Lipinski (IL-3) announced today he will be introducing a resolution supporting the goals and ideals of National Engineers Week. As one of the few members of Congress with an engineering degree, Congressman Lipinski introduces this resolution each year in order to highlight the critical role that engineers play in building our nation and the need to encourage more young people to pursue engineering degrees.
“Engineering is problem solving, and we need engineers to help solve many of the problems that our nation and our world face today,” Lipinski said. “Engineers are working to bring us cheaper and cleaner energy. They are making us safer on the roads and in the air. And they are helping to design and produce other life-saving devices. Engineers play a tremendously important part in our society.”
Sponsored by the National Engineers Week Foundation and running from Feb. 17 to Feb. 23, National Engineers Week brings thousands of engineers into K-12 classrooms across the county and highlights the vital contributions made by engineers to our quality of life and economic prosperity. Among the programs to inspire kids and introduce them to engineering are Introduce a Girl to Engineering Day and the national finals of the Future City Competition for middle school students. This year’s theme for National Engineers Week is “Celebrate Awesome.”
“Surveys have shown that teenagers are more likely to consider a degree in engineering after learning about what engineers do,” continued Lipinski. “Although just 4 percent of the country’s work force is composed of engineers and scientists, they create the jobs for the other 96 percent. We owe it to our children and ourselves to get them interested in science, technology, engineering and math. That’s why calling attention to this fascinating field and career opportunities during National Engineers Week is so important.”
As one of the few engineers in Congress, a former educator, and ranking member of the Research Subcommittee of the House Science, Space, and Technology Committee, Rep. Lipinski has pushed for improvements in science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM) education throughout his career. Rep. Lipinski is a strong believer that improving STEM education at all levels is among the most important steps we can take to ensure that America remains the most technologically innovative country in the world and creates jobs that meet our needs for future generations. When he was chairman of the Research Subcommittee , Rep. Lipinski worked to reauthorize the America COMPETES Act, first passed in 2007 in response to the National Academies report warning that America risked losing its place as the world’s scientific and technological leader unless it took action.
For more information on National Engineers Week, visit www.eweek.org.
Contribute Volunteer Lawn Sign Get Updates