Lipinski, Bucshon Bill Signed Into Law
President Obama has signed into law H.R. 3095, a bipartisan bill sponsored by U.S. Reps. Daniel Lipinski (D-IL) and Larry Bucshon (R-IN) that requires due process on Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) guidance regarding screening and testing for obstructive sleep apnea and other sleep disorders for drivers of commercial motor vehicles. The legislation passed unanimously in both the House and Senate and was referred to in Politico as a showcase for “…what just might be the most efficient Congress has been in years.”
“While this issue has been a major one for the truck and bus industry, with the potential to result in expensive and damaging litigation, H.R. 3095 has always been about improving safety by following the formal rule-making process and including input from the major stakeholders,” Rep. Lipinski said. “I am proud to have worked with my colleagues from across the aisle in sponsoring this legislation, moving it through Congress and passing it into law. This is how Washington should work.”
“H.R. 3095 is a commonsense, responsible bill with the potential to save the trucking industry $1 billion that received bipartisan support in Congress,” Rep. Bucshon said.“FMSCA will now have to go through the proper rule-making process if it wants to weigh in on sleep apnea and incorporate the stakeholders, including the trucking community and medical professionals. I am very pleased to have worked with my colleagues in Congress on both sides of the aisle to get H.R. 3095 passed into law.”
“We were very pleased with the bipartisan approach to this bill — in a very partisan atmosphere — and are delighted the President quickly signed it into law,” said Bill Graves, President and CEO of the American Trucking Association.“It puts the Department of Transportation on the proper path. ATA is optimistic that any rule making on this issue will be collaborative and informed.”
Timeline of H.R. 3095:
· Sept. 12, 2013– H.R. 3095 is introducedwith the support of the American Trucking Association, American Bus Association, International Brotherhood of Teamsters, National School Transportation Association, Owner-Operator Independent Drivers Association and United Motorcoach Association.
· Sept. 19 – H.R. 3095 unanimously passed the House Transportation and Infrastructure Committee.
· Sept. 26 –H.R. 3095 passed the House of Representatives by a vote of 405 to 0.
· Oct. 4 –H.R. 3095 passed the Senate with unanimous consent.
· Oct. 15 –H.R. 3095 is signed into law by President Obama.
Contribute Volunteer Lawn Sign Get Updates